New York Nursing Home Attorney Report: New York Nursing Homes And Its Employees Cited For Neglect/Abuse

The Long Term Care Community Coalition recently released its report on New York enforcement actions for the period 12/16/10 – 3/15/11. Included in the report were the following instances of nursing home neglect and abuse:

At Terence Cardinal Cooke HCC in Manhattan, LPN Coral Quintyne, gave methadone to the wrong resident, who had to be hospitalized. She did not report her error and falsified documents in an attempt to cover it up. On 2/4/2011, she was sentenced to six months incarceration.

Certified Nurse’s Aide, Esmeralda Laureano, at Rockaway Care Center, LLC in Queens stomped on the chest of an 80-year old resident who was lying on the floor after he refused to follow her instructions. On 3/1/2011, she was sentenced to a term of 3 years probation with anger management classes as a condition of probation.

At Diamond Hill Nursing and Rehabilitation Center (formerly Northwoods Rehabilitation and ECF-Troy) Certified Nurse’s Aide, Jessica Tremper, falsely documented in the medical record that she turned and repositioned a resident. Turning and repositioning is considerd the most important intervention is the prevention of the development and deterioration of bedsores (pressure ulcers, decubitis ulcers). On 3/4/2011, she was sentenced to a one-year conditional discharge, 40 hours of community service, and surrender of her CNA certificate.

Certified Nurse’s Aides, Janine Fedigan and Brandy Peterson, at Finger Lakes Center for Living in Auburn were sentenced to a one-year conditional discharge and surrender of their CNA licenses. In violation of the care plan, CNA Fedigan transferred an 80-year old resident out of bed alone, took resident to the toilet, and tried to apply his leg brace, which caused the resident to tip over in his wheelchair, hit his head and suffer a skin tear. CNA Fedigan and CNA Peterson picked him up and told resident and his wife not to tell anyone what had happened. CNA Fedigan claimed it happened while the resident was in the bathroom.

Contact Information